Monday, October 4, 2010

Festival of Flowers


I got an email from the founder of Club Dine In! last week (a fantastic source for information on health, fitness, and fun in the SF Bay Area) in which she let me know that there would be a FREE festival of flowers happening right in my back yard! Super exciting!  

The setting; Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption , a 1970’s modern building designed by local architects John Michael Lee, Paul A. Ryan and Angus McSweeney. Concrete, marble, glass, and high ceilings made the inside of the building a whole lot more majestic than the outside. From the outside the building looks like a large washing machine agitator, and has been nicknamed by locals as "Our Lady of Maytag.”  Sorry, I’m not one for 1970’s Architecture… some of the stuff looks like it just fell out of the tornado that took Dorothy to Oz! (Ok, that’s it for my rant on Architecture….on to flowers….)

The festival celebrated the 40th Anniversary of the Dedication of the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption, and welcomed “some of the most renowned floral artists from the Bay Area and beyond.”

Here are some of my favorites from the festival:













1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I missed such spectacular display! Thanks for capturing it for us...so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete