Monday, June 21, 2010

Hydrangea Mania!

Every summer my lovely mom comes to visit, and as part of this ritual she has a mini high school reunion with friends that live in and around the Bay Area. Aside from loving to entertain, I get a kick out of seeing/meeting the posse that my mom used to hang out with, and listening to their mischievous stories.

This year she decided to have an early morning brunch. After crafting our menu of, Smoked Salmon/Rye Bread log, Wild rice and Mushroom Frittata, Asparagus and Leek Quiche, Berry Cobbler, and Fruit Salad we set out to buy flowers for the table. Every time we passed by a stand that sold flowers mom would say “Hydrangeas, I love Hydrangeas.” So it’s pretty easy to guess that this week’s flowers are… yep, you guessed it. Hydrangeas!

I decided that this week I’m going to buy flowers from a flower vendor that is a San Francisco landmark; Imagnin Flowers (corner of Geary and Stockton across from Union Square- Right next to Macy’s). Their Hydrangeas were $8.00 a bunch, and because it was the end of the day, the owner cut me a deal, and gave me 4 bunches for $16.00, and a lovely $4.00 bunch of gorgeous green lemon leaves!

Grand Total:$20.00 (no tax!)

Sometimes creating an arrangement with one type of flower (monoculture) gives a bigger impact, especially if a lot of other things are happening adjacent to the arrangement; in our case, food!



FYI: Next week I’ll be covering a wedding that I’m designing flowers for in Sacramento… Get ready for some luscious red arrangements!

1 comment:

  1. all of that looks so great! Food and aesthetics- Club Dine In! approved. ;-) You are too cool.

    ReplyDelete